Searching...
Saturday, March 1, 2014

ENGLISH GRAMMAR, TENSES

1:04 AM

Many English learners worry too much about
tense. If you stopped 100 native English
speakers in the street and asked them about
tense, one of them might give you an
intelligent answer—if you were lucky. The
other 99 would know little about terms like
"past perfect" or "present continuous". And
they would know nothing about aspect, voice
or mood. But they can all speak fluent
English and communicate effectively. Of
course, for ESL it helps to know about
tenses, but don't become obsessed with them.
Be like those native speakers! Speak
naturally!

The English Tense System
The links below are to lessons for each of the 12 basic
tenses. In each lesson we look at two aspects of the
tense:
  • Structure: How do we make the tense?
  • Use: When and why do we use the tense?
Some lessons look at additional aspects, and most of
them finish with a quiz to check your understanding

 Present Tense
I do do, I do
Present Continuous Tense
I am doing, I am doing tomorrow
Present Perfect Tense
I have done
Present Perfect Continuous Tense
I have been doing

Past Tense
I did do, I did
Past Continuous Tense
I was doing
Past Perfect Tense
I had done
Past Perfect Continuous Tense
I had been doing

Future Tense
I will do
Future Continuous Tense
I will be doing
Future Perfect Tense
I will have done
Future Perfect Continuous Tense
I will have been doing